cfs fonts
-> CFS3

#1: cfs fonts Author: jackinrichmondLocation: richmond, bc, canada PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:43 am
    ----
hello all,
i first want to thank the website hosts.. this is really a great site for flight sim enthusiasts.
i got the maxtweaks intstalled and i would recommend them all. i sure like the gunsight tweak.. it has definitely improved my kill ratio - i'm making shots that i never used to hit because of the improved site. i think i used gs12 (i just picked one of the largest files).
maxterrain & maxcloud tweaks make a noticable improvement, but i will confess that i still run the quality settings at 5.
the cfs3 config manual is worth the time, but be sure to set the cfs3 system folder to read only when you are done.
as i have mentioned in other posts, you MUST get the windows hotfix for quad-core chips. the game will stutter and hop without it.
i can't say enough good about the geforce8800gts512.. i have all settings at max, all boxes checked and at max resolution. . it looks pretty damn awesome on the hitachi 55" highdef projection tv...

i have a couple questions..
is there anyway to import the airplanes from cfs2 into cfs3 ?
is there a way to change the font that is used in the game for target ident/distance and hit noticifation ?

thanks again for the great site.

#2: Re: cfs fonts Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:11 pm
    ----
Holy cow I can't believe I missed your post! My apologies!

Well first off thanks for the compliments.....credit goes to those who run the place though......I happen to agree. Wink

Well my own answer on fonts isn't definitive, but I remember looking into this a long time ago and although there were several definitions for fonts in various XML or CFG files (can't remember and can't look right now since I'm on a laptop on the road)....I never did find anything for on-screen fonts. I'm guessing that you're asking becuase as you move up to runnign the game in higher resolution, those fonts get pretty small don't they?

On importing aircraft....definitley, sorry to say, no way to get CFS2 aircraft imported. The modeling, texturing and flight/damage files are not the same. AvHistory is probably the first place to go to source some good add-ons although this is (or used to be) a two-edged sword for CFS3....good stuff, not always the easiest to install and keep up with little updates from time to time for each plane, and then if you try using them in multiplayer, you have problems because everyone's aircraft don't exactly match (pretty annoying to not be able to join a game using addon aircraft because of a simple thing like a tailwheel change!). Anyway that may be a moot point these days since the CFS3 server was take down by MS (or did it ever come back online? Haven't checked).

But anyway, it's a start....and by the way since your CFS3 is lookin' so good, I'll lay a hint down that we do have a daily screenshot comp that you're welcome to show a few pix off in....link to submit is over there on the left...

<------------- Wink

Good point about the hotfix too....one of these must be it, right?

support.microsoft.com/...6256/en-us

support.microsoft.com/...6357/en-us

#3: Re: cfs fonts/cfs2 imports Author: jackinrichmondLocation: richmond, bc, canada PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:49 pm
    ----
thanks for your info.
yes, i used the 6256-en-us microsoft update. (i have an amd chip).

i was poking around in the UIfont folder, but none of the adjustments i made had any effect. the text is still readable, but i think it would be better at a slight increase. please let me know if anyone knows which setting will affect the hit/target notification font.

i would love to do some screen shots, but i simply don't know how to do it. i guess there is a software that is needed ?

is there a site i could buy & download CFS2 ? (i guess that i will have to just install the other game to fly the other aircraft). i never see it available in any software shops.

thanks again !

#4: Re: cfs fonts Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:43 pm
    ----
You know, from time to time I could swear I've seen CFS2 in Best Buy....also one of those EB Games or Gamestop shops where they sell PC games alongside the new & used XBox and PS2/3 games might have it.

For screenshots in CFS3, it has a built-0in function listed in the commands you can assign, I believe the default key command is simply the PrintScreen key.....then go look in your "My Documents" folder, you shoudl see a "Combat Flight Simulator 3" folder there, and look inside that, you should see some BMP files that are your screenshots.

(by the way you can change the assignment for CFS3's screen capture command, and in the old days I mapped it to a spare joystick button to get those fleeting "killshots"....worked great).

BMP files are pretty huge by normal standards so to upload it, you shoudl convert it to a JPG, GIF or PNG file - which if you open it with MSPaint you can save it as a different type and not loose much quality but the file wil be much smaller. Then upload it.

Alternately you can use an excellent freeware tool called "IrfanView" to crop the image to get rid of any unwanted text at the sides or anythign, and save it as JPG, GIF or PNG. You can resize it, etc and it's an excellent tool, download from here:

www.irfanview.com

And yup, you're looking in the same place I was for the UI fonts for the same reason......never found a solution myself......be curious of there is one.....

-> CFS3