Sherman chassis used for Logging in Oregon on TV
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sherman chassis used for Logging in Oregon on TV Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:30 am
    ----
I'm watching the new show 'Axmen' on History Channell about logging in Oregon. One of the 4 crews they will be following (The Pihl Crew) is using a converted Sherman. A quick shot of it seems to be an M4 or M4A3 VVSS hull

#2: Re: Sherman chassis used for Logging in Oregon on TV Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:35 am
    ----
I saw some of those out there, they had a boom attached to them. i didn't quite understand how the system worked....someone here will know

#3: Re: Sherman chassis used for Logging in Oregon on TV Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:15 pm
    ----
Interesting... I had wondered if there were any logging Shermans left...

Neil

#4: Re: Sherman chassis used for Logging in Oregon on TV Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:54 pm
    ----
It's funny I was watching and all of a sudden there was a corner oof a tracked vehicle on teh screen and as the camera moved I realized it was the front right corner of a Sherman hull when thetop of the front VVSS unit came on the screen. They then sopent a few seconds saying it was convereted from a WWII Sherman tank with tehobligatory stock Sherman footage. We'll see what part it plays in the show over the next few weeks. We may get enough information to make sure it gets incluyded in the surviving AFV register. Gee does it become more historically significant if it is the last (or almost last) logging Sherman still around Smile

#5: Re: Sherman chassis used for Logging in Oregon on TV Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:54 pm
    ----
I happened to watch the show also. I was never into "Ice Road Truckers" but this show on loggers piqued my interest. I sat right up when that VVSS showed up on screen. I watched part of it again (it followed itself) as I had missed the first few minutes. Anyway, some observations. Basic hull seems to be from a gun tank (as opposed to a TD). It has a cast transmission cover (round nose vs. sharp nose?). The rear of the hull has been heavily modified to accomodate a big CAT diesel - we will need an s/n to even know what model it left the factory as. There is quite a superstructure up on top - the show explained about how these vehicles work. It was running on T49 steel track. Near the end they got the beast stuck in soft earth and had to help it along. The operator felt that they were getting him more stuck and went home mad!

Generally an interesting show, the M4 chassis added icing to the cake.

Gary

-> AFV News Discussion Board