Photograph required M113a1 Ambulance
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Photograph required M113a1 Ambulance Author: jhollettLocation: Perth Western Australia,Australia PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:14 am
    ----
Do you know where I could get a photo of the APC set up as an ambulance?
I know in 1965/67 we has one in Vietnam but it appears no one took a photo of it set up with the four stretcher set up in the back.
John
ex A Sqn 3 Cav Regt (Vietnam)
Australian Army

#2: Re: Photograph required M113a1 Ambulance Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:10 pm
    ----
I know I have something showing the chains mounted, I'll dig through and see what I can come up with.

Here are a couple without, but I remember we did have the stretcher chains.

Don

#3: Re: Photograph required M113a1 Ambulance Author: jhollettLocation: Perth Western Australia,Australia PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:21 pm
    ----
Thanks Don,
the stretchers were suspended by chains.Appreciate your effort
John

#4: Re: Photograph required M113a1 Ambulance Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:31 pm
    ----
My vehicle ("Medicine Man's Head Shoppe") in Vietnam was set up as the Troop ambulance in the field with a two-stretcher (suspended by chains) of which I have interior shots. They were mounted on the driver's side and we used as bunks routinely. It was otherwise configured as a full combat ACAV and employed that way. I'm "on the road" right now and will be until April 4, but can provide detail shots upon my return if you still need them. The medical storage bins on the right side were just ammo boxes that were liberally adorned with various Playmates of the Month. Laughing

#5: Re: Photograph required M113a1 Ambulance Author: jhollettLocation: Perth Western Australia,Australia PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:24 am
    ----
Thanks Doug any photos would be appreciated
John

#6: Re: Photograph required M113a1 Ambulance Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:28 am
    ----
- jhollett
Thanks Doug any photos would be appreciated
John

Will post, John...it'll just have to wait until I get back from Korea and Taiwan, first week of April or so. The shots are pretty detailed.

Doug

#7: Re: Photograph required M113a1 Ambulance Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:42 pm
    ----
Well, whaddaya' know...I'm still in Taiwan (heading back tonight) but found these two in my Photobucket account so moved them over...

Probably have a couple of more at home....

#8: Re: Photograph required M113a1 Ambulance Author: jhollettLocation: Perth Western Australia,Australia PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:35 pm
    ----
Thanks Doug,when you return can you see if you have one with the ramp down looking from the rear.
John

#9: Re: Photograph required M113a1 Ambulance Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:04 am
    ----
- jhollett
Thanks Doug,when you return can you see if you have one with the ramp down looking from the rear.
John

John,
I can guarantee you that I don't have that view since we never lowered the ramp on "Head Shoppe" if we didn't absolutely have to...as the ramp cable was broken (don't ask) and therefore the ramp would have to be raised by hand (a four-man job...three to lift and one to engage the lock securing it when in position). It was pretty spectatular to watch it lower, however. Mr. Green

#10: Re: Photograph required M113a1 Ambulance Author: jhollettLocation: Perth Western Australia,Australia PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:56 am
    ----
Doug
I would hate to have been wounded and required to get transported by you if you didnt have the cable to raise the ramp.How did you get the guys in, pour them in through the cargo hatch??
John

#11: Re: Photograph required M113a1 Ambulance Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:13 am
    ----
- jhollett
Doug
I would hate to have been wounded and required to get transported by you if you didnt have the cable to raise the ramp.How did you get the guys in, pour them in through the cargo hatch??
John

John,

Well, there's always that cute little back door in the ramp, if it comes to that. Actually, it virtually never did because any seriously wounded would be evacuated on site by "dust off" (helicopter). In practice, "Head Shoppe" served more as a rolling dispensary than ambulance for daily aches and pains. It could, of course, have served the ambulance roll in a worse case scenario (evacuation from battlefield if "dust off" was not possible), but this never arose (thankfully) while I had her. That would make for untimely evacuation and treatment for anyone seriously hurt (bumpy ride, too).

#12: Re: Photograph required M113a1 Ambulance Author: jhollettLocation: Perth Western Australia,Australia PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:19 am
    ----
The ride for the driver was rough enough,I dont think anyone even on their death bed would want to ride in the back. They would say "Just let me die" I know you Americans were good but trying to step in though the rear door holding a stretcher and trying to put it within the chains would be something to see Smile Smile
John

-> AFV News Discussion Board