Howard Help
-> FSX

#1: Howard Help Author: Rixster PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:36 pm
    ----
I've installed the Howard 500 collection into FSX and I saw the thumbnails package, but I have no idea how to install it, you can't make self-install aircraft package and then make a no self-install thumb package and expect me to figure out how to make it work, are you crazy???? anyway, what the heck do I do with the thumbs?

#2: Re: Howard Help Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:08 pm
    ----
Stoopy's you man, err, pig Smile

I think he did a thumbnail package already but I'm sure he'll be right on it when he logs on.

#3: Re: Howard Help Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:01 pm
    ----
Well, yeah of course I can do that, 'cuz I did!...and for the record, yes I am crazy...crazy like a pig, that is!!! (thanks for recognizing that, Kit) Laughing

Nawww....seriously Rixster, I don't recall the reason why I did it that way other than I musta thought it was a fairly simple file copy that I should have explained in the readme file included with the ZIP. Did you look?

I'd be happy to comply and make a self-installer for it, it's a nuthin' deal for me to do, and I can do it later tonite. Matter of fact it might be a good idear becuase on my last run-through for that bird, (for the FSX PropFix, you got that too from the "Utilities" section, right?) I found an error that caused about 6 or 7 variants not to show up, and corrected this in the aircraft.cfg file but I didn't make new thumbnails for 'em, so the thumbnails are wrong.

So be sure to get that Propfix for the Howard, you'll need it in FSX and it is a self-installer. I don't think (don't remember) if I included the Thumbnails with it just to be complete.

But just as advice, you might want to get used to the idea of manual file copies and how they're done only because there's so much other freeware out there that is installed with that method. Sometimes it gets horrifically complicated and if it wasn't free, I'd complain. Personally I prefer the installer method too only if it gives a project that nice finished look and makes it accessible to so many more people. Oddly enough, there are arguments out there against self-installers but usually from paranoid types who like to copy files manually just so they have control & knowledge about every single file that's installed on their system. And most freeware addons have 'terms of use' conditions that don't allow the thing to be re-packaged in a self-installer or any way other than the original download ZIP.

At some point you'll need to get that fleshed out and Im sure we can give tips that can make it easier, just say the word....in the meantime I'll work this for ya.

#4: Re: Howard Help Author: Rixster PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:34 pm
    ----
well manual files copies usually aren't a prob for me, I know my way around them pretty good. The small problem is there's no readme in the zip at all, lol, I thought that was a bit unusual but I just looked again and there's nothing there so I have no idea where to copy them too or what to do with the aircraft cgf file that came with htem.

#5: Re: Howard Help Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:59 pm
    ----
WHAT?!!!

Well OK then that does suck and is pretty lame!!!!!

Can't believe that happened. I'll look into it and get an auto-installer done. Thanks for bringing that to attention!

#6: Re: Howard Help Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:53 am
    ----
New download is in the FSX Utilities section, second page (thanks for the fast approval) and is a merge containing the SP2 PropFix and the complete & revised thumbnail set in a self-installer.

#7: Re: Howard Help Author: Rixster PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:46 pm
    ----
thumbs work fine, thanks!

-> FSX