Question for you T-34 experts!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Question for you T-34 experts! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:03 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

On the rear upper deck of the T-34 tank is a sheet metal grill with an openning at the rear, center, bottom edge of the grill. In the follow photo, it's that black spot just to the left of the fuel lines going under the grill.

My guestion is, what is mounted at that open spot on this hull?

Side angle shot.

All three photos were croped from pictures in Squardron/Signal publications Armor Number 6, Soviet Panzers in Action pages 36 and 43.

In many of the photos I have of T-34s, many are like the top one. Just a open in the grill with nothing there. At the local model club meeting today, one of the treadheads had a T-34 he was working on and I noticed something mounted in the openning. Something I had never noticed on a T-34 before. After I returned home, I got out all my T-34 references and checked them. First thing I noticed was very few picture of the rear end. Most of those few had nothing in that openning. But a few of them did. Maybe it's a case of something was there at first but do to the needs of war and lack of parts or time, something was left off.

What is that item and does anyone have a clear picture of it.
The T-34/76 with the small two man turret at APG may have this item.

Thanks Folks!
Sgt, Scouts out!

#2: Re: Question for you T-34 experts! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:15 am
    ----
Roy

I will be up at Aberdeen both today and next Saturday so I'll see if I can find anything out. Your center picture is a T34 at Aberdeen ( I don't know if it is a survivor or not) I know Neil can tell why I state that, I'll leave it open for others to figure out till I get back this evening Wink

Looking at the pictures I believe all were taken at Aberdeen (and that 2 & 3 are the same vehicle) but I am 100% sure of #2

#3: Re: Question for you T-34 experts! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:31 am
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

- bsmart

Your center picture is a T34 at Aberdeen ( I don't know if it is a survivor or not) I know Neil can tell why I state that, I'll leave it open for others to figure out till I get back this evening Wink

Looking at the pictures I believe all were taken at Aberdeen (and that 2 & 3 are the same vehicle) but I am 100% sure of #2

Your are correct.
All three where at Aberdeen some time ago. I think the first photo is a T-34/85 or maybe the three man turret/76 that had the side cut open and then plated over.

Photos 2 and 3 are the same vehicle. It has the smaller two man turret with a large box on the left (driver's point of view) side of the hull.

Thanks for checking Bob. I think I have learned something new about T-34s. Just need to nail down what the new fact is.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: Question for you T-34 experts! Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:35 am
    ----
Recent picture of the German capture T-34/76 at APG, courtesy of Pavel.

And the full gallery:
Aberdeen T-34/76

#5: Re: Question for you T-34 experts! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:47 am
    ----
Hi Rikard! Hi Folks!

Thanks for the link. There are a number of good photos that show something mounted over what is a hole on most T-34s.

If there is nothing there, why did a Soviet factory go through the trouble to (1) make a hole in the grill and (2) take the time and resourses to cover it over?

I wonder if the back of that shape was originaly open and APGs welded a cover plate over it?

Better pictures clear up what is on the Aberdeen vehicle, now the question it what is that thing?

Very confuzed.....
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: Question for you T-34 experts! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:09 am
    ----
Roy...

Same as this?

#7: Re: Question for you T-34 experts! Author: palic PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:40 pm
    ----
I am not sure about the purpose of that aperture on T-34/76, but there should be a "convoy position light" hidden on T-34/85...

#8: Re: Question for you T-34 experts! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:47 pm
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

Roy...

Same as this?

Yes, kinda... That one has a flat top, where the few I have seen distance photos of, have a rounded top.

Interesting... Thanks for a different view Doug!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: Question for you T-34 experts! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:53 pm
    ----
Hi Palic! Hi Folks!

- palic

I am not sure about the purpose of that aperture on T-34/76, but there should be a "convoy position light" hidden on T-34/85...

Could it be possible that there is a "convoy position light" back inside and under the top grill and that is the reason many of the T-34s have a hole there. I have noticed that some later models do not have that openning.

Very interesting Palic, thanks!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: Question for you T-34 experts! Author: palic PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:12 pm
    ----
Have found clearer picture here (check Soviet Vehicles, T-34-85, page 04): www.jagdtiger.de/index...-57-01.htm
It could be "stop light" too...
Internal photo could be here: data3.primeportal.net/...of_117.jpg

#11: Re: Question for you T-34 experts! Author: giacomo415Location: Sardinia - Italy PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:11 pm
    ----
Hi there,
I have here three drawnings from an old english version of the T34/85 operator’s manual.
All regarding the electrical diagram of the tank. Look at the items labeled 17 and 18.

I think the opening was related to the tail light, but there is also a receptacle indicated side by side to.

I hope these images can be helpful.
Regards
Giacomo

#12: Re: Question for you T-34 experts! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:36 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

Thanks to Palic's pictures and Giacomo's drawings, I have my answer!

It's a single position light!

This all started when I saw a DML T-34/76 Model 41(?) at the model club meeting on Sunday. Looks like DML got it half right. The tail light on the kit looks like an older type of US service stop light/black out marker assemble.

Thanks everyone!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board