Black Screen
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Hardware

#1: Black Screen Author: Rixster PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:36 pm
    ----
well I think I owe the peaple over at EA Sport, and the TW08 forum an apology. Something is going on with my rig and I can't figure it out. It only did it in TW08 but now it's happening in FSX. I keep getting video crashes to black screen. usually happens very quickly after starting the games. It's not the video card cause I've tried two different ones and they both did it. I've tried four different drivers and same thing. I ran a couple tests on my CPU and it seemed fine. Weird thing is some games it never happens in. Any body got any ideas?

#2: Re: Black Screen Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:02 pm
    ----
It could be extra heat buildup. Make sure all the cooling fans are working and not plugged with dust, dirt, etc.

Next, try testing the RAM... Wink

#3: Re: Black Screen Author: Rixster PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:34 pm
    ----
no dust, for sure. I just installed another 120mm fan in the front, and all 4 are working fine. Any good suggestions for testing the ram? I just installed 4 gb of crucial ballistc in January so probably not going to be that but worth testing anyway.

#4: Re: Black Screen Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:45 pm
    ----
-S-

Could be a virus or trojan, download anything latley..?

Hammer Cool Laughing Cool Laughing Cool

#5: Re: Black Screen Author: Rixster PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:44 am
    ----
nope, other than some aircraft nothing really new. Trendmicro isn't picking up anything either.

#6: Re: Black Screen Author: 401RCAF_HammerLocation: Burlington, Ontario, Canada. PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:30 am
    ----
-S-

Check to see if the connection from your computer to monitor is tight, may be a loose connection.

Hammer Cool Laughing Cool Laughing Cool

#7: Re: Black Screen Author: 401RCAF_JelLocation: Hiding in Sherwood Forest PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:06 am
    ----
Seem to remember summat like this happening with me a while ago... If memory serves me right my mobo was up the swany. It's a process of elimination, fans ok, cpu ok, ram ok, PSU?? ok? graphics ok.... Mobo!!

Puters eh, who'd have em, erm we would lol. Pain in the ariass when they're not complying though.

Let us know how you get on Wink

#8: Re: Black Screen Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:00 pm
    ----
Yep Jel, that is the 'diagnostic steps' to take.. Wink

The next test after the RAM is the CPU as all Video requests have to go through it, and don't forget about the Power Supply. As Jel says, if all checks out, it's probably a bad Main Board.

The one thing I always try to do when finding these issues is to start with the easiest and cheapest things (tests) first. You can always get out your wallet to fix the more expensive things..lol

#9: Re: Black Screen Author: Rixster PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:41 pm
    ----
you know, I'm glad you said that. When I changed my CPU not too long ago from a single core to dual core, I was trying to gently remove the heatsink from the processor. The problem was they had it super glued on there and it would come off. it took so much pressure to pull it off it actually pulled the chip off the motherboard without the lock being in the open position. I was real worried about it damaging the board but the new CPU went in fine and it started up and ran so I never thought anymore about it. Might have damaged the cpu slot. I've run a couple tests on the CPU and none of them came up with any problems so I don't know, feels like I'm grasping at straws now.

#10: Re: Black Screen Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:29 pm
    ----
Bummer, sorry to hear about your probs Rixster. This looks like one that might be hard to pin down without a complete failure. Not that I could help you but maybe someone else could with some clarification.

Is it "always" the same games that it does this with and "never" the others. Does it do it with non game use, surfing the net, non game aps, etc.
And is operating system Vista.

Sorry if you already answered any of these and I missed it. I work the grave shift so I tend to read, reply and sleep all at the same time first thing in the morning. Laughing

#11: Re: Black Screen Author: Chuck_71st PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:28 pm
    ----
Did you install this with your new CPU? Dual core optimizer may help...do you overclock?

www.amd.com/us-en/Proc...06,00.html

#12: Re: Black Screen Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:09 am
    ----
I had this happen to me when I install some game a while back and it turned out that I needed to update my BIOS. Prolly not ur prob cuz you just put a new chip in lately but just a thought. Good Luck!

#13: Re: Black Screen Author: Rixster PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:07 am
    ----
fr8ycat, so far it has only happened with TW08, and fsx. No crashes with normal use or my other games. I've been looking into the bios update as well, but my pc doesn't have a floppy. I do have one I could just plug in to do this so I may just try it. Couldn't hurt right? Still trying to figure out what bios update to use from the manufacturer. As far as overclocking, I don't mess with it. Most I've ever done is use Ntune but it's not overclocking anything right now, stock settings. Chuck I'll try that optimizer, thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully I can get some time to work on it this weekend. It won't be tomorrow though, I'm going to the Masters tournament Wink

#14: Re: Black Screen Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:05 pm
    ----
Be very careful when updating the Bois... Make certain that you get the correct one for your machine.

If your using an external floppy drive, make sure it recognised outside of the windows environment otherwise you may not have access to it during a flash update.

As to pulling the cpu out with the heatsink without releasing the socket lock, it shouldn't have damaged the socket.

I keep thinking it's a driver issue...IMHO

#15: Re: Black Screen Author: Rixster PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:28 pm
    ----
as far as the bios, thats why I haven't done that yet, still nervous about it...as far as the drivers that's what I thought kit but I've tried 4 different ones with no change...and thanks for putting my mind at ease about the cpu socket.

-> Hardware