Army Jeep DJ5D?????
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Army Jeep DJ5D????? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:33 am
    ----
Did the military ever use these "Postal" type jeeps? I found this one here in Texas. DJ5D, no. 5800621 May 1977 Jeep. They claim it runs good, has an AMC 6 cylinder 232 cu. in in line overhead engine, 2 wheel drive, automatic transmission. Can anyone decipher the markings that are on the side under the black paint? I can read them but don't know their meaning. There was OD paint under a broken reflector as well as the interior and under the floor mats.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

#2: Re: Army Jeep DJ5D????? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:08 pm
    ----
I would say it is definately 'prior service' but my guess would be that it was not used as a tactical vehicle. Probably belonged to a TMP motor pool somewhere.

#3: Re: Army Jeep DJ5D????? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:39 am
    ----
I agree it was never a "Tactical" vehicle, and I'm doubtful it was actually military. But if it was in military service, then the numbers on the side should give some clue. However my "googlesse" is weak at this time because I'm coming up with nothing. I'm debating it's purchase just for the heck of it to play with but I'd lean more towards buying it if I knew for sure it was military. I have yet to see the vehicle in person. These pictures were sent to me.

#4: Re: Army Jeep DJ5D????? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:58 pm
    ----
I owned a postal jeep back in 1991 that I paid $250 for from a private individual. It was a right hand driver and was all white, to include under the hood. This DJ5D looks to have been OD under the hood as well and the "Caution" sticker on the firewall looks military. Looking at the front bumper, there appears to be an old DOD sticker there as well but I cant make it out in these photo's. This little jeep has me stumped. I never saw one of these on a military post growing up.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

#5: Re: Army Jeep DJ5D????? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:16 pm
    ----
I remember in the Air Force in teh Mid 70s they were buying lots of 'unusual' vehicles for utility use on base and the flightline. Little Chevy LUV imported pickups were tried (They were painted light blue instead of the usual dark Air Force Blue and between the name and the color were always good for a joke) I also remember reading that The Army was looking at buying 'non tactical' utility vehicles to save the cost when the new jeep replacements (HumVees) were expensive to buy and to run. I think that was how the CUCVs came into service. So it wouldn't be surprising if a batch of DJ-5s were bought to try out. I know teh Chevy LUVs didn't last long on the flightline. Besides being cramped when you were wearing winter gear they did not stand the abuse (mainly overloading) that pickups on the flightline were subjected to.

#6: Re: Army Jeep DJ5D????? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:42 pm
    ----
I'm pretty sure I saw those when I was in the Army. Seems like range control had them. I had a surplus army sedan once. It was a 1970 AMC Ambassador. Had that same 232 cu inch engine. I think AMC owned Jeep back then.

#7: Re: Army Jeep DJ5D????? Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:08 am
    ----
Used to be a bunch of those things running around China Lake 10 or so years ago. Most got sent to the ranges as targets along with the M151's M422's and M-anything else of no use.

#8: Re: Army Jeep DJ5D????? Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:52 pm
    ----
If you can get a better look at the data plate check the contract number. If it begins DAA then it was bought on an Army contract.

. . . I'm surprised no one has looked at Crismon's US Military Wheeled Vehicles before now. On page 104 he writes "The 1977 AM General Jeep Dispatcher 100 shown here is found in sizable numbers in the inventory of all the services." The picture looks just like the one in the photos they sent Jeff. Apparently the key ID features are sliding doors, roof ventilator, and high backed seats. Here's a manual for it: www.jeepbook.com/booksite/amc08.php

HTH,
KL

-> AFV News Discussion Board