Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:05 pm
    ----
To set either of the TWO AFV themes* (you have a choice now), first log on, then go to "Home Page", look at right side and scroll down to the "theme box" and select the "theme" setting of choice (this will, of course, be AFV or AFV2, assuming you're "normal") and thereafter, if you're "logged on" (and when you do this) you will default to this setting. AFV2 is even darker than the standard AFV theme.

Note...TO LOCK IN THEME SETTING: On left menu, go to "Members Options", "Your Account", "Preferences", set theme, then "Save" (at bottom of that menu)...thereafter, when you're logged in, your selection will default to that theme...
*(We do hope Dontos approves Mr. Green )

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Wed May 14, 2008 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:13 am
    ----
My opinion, I don't like the AFV2 setting, too dark.

#3: Re: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:08 pm
    ----
Bump....TO LOCK IN SETTINGS, refer to editted first post in this thread.

Sabot: The extra dark one is to match the color of our hearts here at Com-Central. Twisted Evil

#4: Re: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:54 pm
    ----
Ahhh ... me like the dark setting.

Must be my dark heart, huh?

#5: Re: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:22 pm
    ----
I much prefer the dark version as well despite it looking a bit cluttered - visually it looks much better that the light one which rather looks like the designer was having a bad day Wink

#6: Re: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:09 pm
    ----
OK,

being a grumpy old bastard averse to unnecessary changes (if it ain't broke etc.), can I get the old one back, because I do not like the new look at all, much too cluttery and hard on the eyes?

#7: Re: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:49 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
OK,

being a grumpy old bastard averse to unnecessary changes (if it ain't broke etc.), can I get the old one back, because I do not like the new look at all, much too cluttery and hard on the eyes?

Jens, the 'old one' is pretty much unchanged....it's just "AFV" on the theme page. The only real change was the tank displayed that alternates with the AFV News logo. I can only think you're referring to the AFV2 theme, which IS noticably different.
If you're using the default theme, that will have changed considerably. I don't use that one myself, too bright for me. There are lots of choices now, you might want to experiment with all of them and see if there's something you like better. I'm so used to AFV standard that I don't think about looking at the others.

Doug

#8: Re: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:41 pm
    ----
Doug,

I was referring to the whole site, not just the themes- and yes, the default setting had me so blinded I gave up reading the new posts, waiting instead for the new AFV themes, and number 2 is not that bad, actually.

For some reason, the site looks a lot more cluttered and I also find the font much too small and hard on the eyes- any way to change that which I may have overlooked? I just do not feel like sitting in front of the monitor with a looking glass. Sad

#9: Re: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:54 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Doug,

I was referring to the whole site, not just the themes- and yes, the default setting had me so blinded I gave up reading the new posts, waiting instead for the new AFV themes, and number 2 is not that bad, actually.

For some reason, the site looks a lot more cluttered and I also find the font much too small and hard on the eyes- any way to change that which I may have overlooked? I just do not feel like sitting in front of the monitor with a looking glass. Sad

Jens,
Hmmmm...that's odd...my font size an' stuff didn't change at all with the new site, at least when I load AFV as the them...it looks EXACTLY the same (apart from the Leo I as the pic instead of the Sheridan). The other stuff is so new I really can't say. Have you played with the resolution settings on "display"? I'll post your question in the Moderators Forum to see if the admins have a suggestion. Remember that we're looking for reports like your so don't get put off...we've fixed a couple of things already and until folks sound off, we don't know about stuff that doesn't work like it should.

Doug

#10: Re: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:14 pm
    ----
Nope,

everything is smaller and I did not change anything on my puter- I had looked for a display-option in the "Your Account"-section, but could not find anything. Might be a Firefox thing, but I would rather be dead than condemned to use IE.

Ah, I just checked and it is indeed unchanged with the old theme, so I will change to that. it is less cluttered too. Too bad, I kind of liked the dark aspect of AFV-2, except for the very odd looking "Google"-Logo.

Thanks, old bean

Jens O.

#11: Re: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Nope,

everything is smaller and I did not change anything on my puter- I had looked for a display-option in the "Your Account"-section, but could not find anything. Might be a Firefox thing, but I would rather be dead than condemned to use IE.

Ah, I just checked and it is indeed unchanged with the old theme, so I will change to that. it is less cluttered too. Too bad, I kind of liked the dark aspect of AFV-2, except for the very odd looking "Google"-Logo.

Thanks, old bean

Jens O.

I've already got my "A Team" on it. Let you know if we figure anything out. The head janitor is not an IE fan 'neither. Wink

#12: Re: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:28 pm
    ----
You are a noncom and a gentleman, no matter what the others say. Wink

#13: Re: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:18 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Ah, I just checked and it is indeed unchanged with the old theme, so I will change to that. it is less cluttered too.

Both themes, AFV anf AFV2 are near identical, the darker colours of the AFV2 theme make it appear more cluttered. IMHO

As for font size, I don't believe there is a personal setting for font size, Check that Firefox is set to 'normal' font size with CTRL+ 0.
You could always increase the display size within your browser with CTRL+ + but apart from increasing the font size it also increases everything else.

HTH.

#14: Re: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:18 am
    ----
I use Firefox and have set my theme as the one with the Leo I and my fonts did not change. Strange.

Just a suggestion. Is there a way to do different AFV images that appear randomly when you open AFV News DG? It would be a kick to see what the "tank of the day (minute or hour)" is.

#15: Re: Setting "AFV" appearance on the new forum Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:21 am
    ----
- Kitform
Both themes, AFV anf AFV2 are near identical, the darker colours of the AFV2 theme make it appear more cluttered. IMHO

That could very well be, plus I had not hidden the menu on the left yet, now on AFV-theme everything looks quite normal, only the emoticons are missing from the "Quick Reply"-option, but I cannot even remember if they were present pre the the revamp.

- Kitform
As for font size, I don't believe there is a personal setting for font size, Check that Firefox is set to 'normal' font size with CTRL+ 0.
You could always increase the display size within your browser with CTRL+ + but apart from increasing the font size it also increases everything else.
HTH.

Nope, there is indeed no personal setting, and yes, Firefox is set to "normal", the font size is OK on the AFV-theme, but it is/seems smaller on AFV2- of course, this could be an optical illusion due to the white letters on the dark background. I will hang on to the "traditional" AFV-theme, it suits this old CIA-member just fine.

Thank you for your fine work

Jens O.

-> AFV News Discussion Board