Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:34 am
    ----
I swung by the 1st CAV museum today after going to the 4ID museum to photograph an M3, when I noticed they had repainted the M114 that was on display. She looks much better now than before. I couldn't find a serial number stamped into the rear or front of the hull anywhere, and I'm usually pretty good at finding them.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

#2: Re: Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:43 am
    ----
Hi Jeff,

It looks very nice, though I'm a little dubious about two .50 cals having been mounted on any M114's. I've got a TM Org Maint. Man. to send Roy on the M114/M114A1/M114A1E1 and it doesn't describe such an arrangement on any model nor have I ever seen one. Maybe Roy has seen it in his experience on them in active duty, however...I'd be curious to hear his input. Of course, for display, maybe they use what they've got.

I like that little bulldozer hiding over there in the distance!

Doug

#3: Re: Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:59 am
    ----
Hello Doug,
I always thought they put M60s' on the rear corners but I'm sure "field expiedient" uses were in effect quite often and I know I would prefer "Ma-Deuce" over the "Pig" if I had the choice. The little dozer in the background was also repainted at the same time as the M114. I posted the M4A3 (105) VVSS that was repainted just recently. Seems 1st CAV museum got some funds and had quite a few vehicle outside repainted. My guess would be at least 8-10 vehicles recieved complete repaints. I researched that little dozer previously but can't remeber the specifics now. There is also a "Mule" right beside it,(the dozer) that really needs some TLC/repaint soon.

#4: Re: Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:27 pm
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

It looks very nice, though I'm a little dubious about two .50 cals having been mounted on any M114's. I've got a TM Org Maint. Man. to send Roy on the M114/M114A1/M114A1E1 and it doesn't describe such an arrangement on any model nor have I ever seen one. Maybe Roy has seen it in his experience on them in active duty, however...I'd be curious to hear his input. Of course, for display, maybe they use what they've got.

I never saw that set up during my time. I had plans if we ever went to war, that if I had a chance, I pick up one to add to my vehicles.

My guess would be that sense the M114 never saw combat in the hands of US Troops and a second M2HB was not authorized by TOE, it may not have ever happiened. The M114A1 and A2 scout platoons were authorized one flex mounted M2HB for the PSG's M-113. It is possible that maybe the PSG's M113 was down and someone mounted his gun on one of the scout tracks.

I agree with the idea that the museum staff had an extra one and though it looked good.

The correct machine gun for the observer for a split hatch M114 should be a 30 cal. BMG, for an early M-114, or a M-60 machine gun for the time frame after the M-60 MG replaced the 30 cal. BMG.

Thanks for the update on the 1st Cav's Lingle Jeff!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy... Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:08 pm
    ----
PURTTY!!! Mr. Green

Now bring on some dozer pics please!

#6: Re: Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy... Author: HellonwheelsV100 PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:38 pm
    ----
Usually the SN can be found right under the headlight assembly in front of the driver's hatch.

Looks nice though, even with the unauthorized firepower. Smile

#7: Re: Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:36 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

I never saw that set up during my time. I had plans if we ever went to war, that if I had a chance, I pick up one to add to my vehicles.

My guess would be that sense the M114 never saw combat in the hands of US Troops and a second M2HB was not authorized by TOE, it may not have ever happiened.

Yo, Bubba!...I had plans to put a minigun on my ACAV, but one never presented itself, dangit! Evil or Very Mad

Speaking of war and the M114, beware the "Globalsecurity" website...it assures us that the vehicle "Introduced in the early 1960s, the M114 Command and Reconnaissance Carrier saw extensive service with armored cavalry units during the war in Vietnam. " Rolling Eyes

(Of course, it could mean ARVN ACR units...but extensive?)

In the meantime, a certain Mr. McNamara, in a memorandum to the President of 64Mar16 suggested:

"10. Although there are no major equipment deficiencies in other forces, we should act at once to replace the present M-114 armored personnel carriers by 63 M-113s and to provide additional river boats. Additional lesser deficiencies should also be met at an estimated cost of approximately $10 million."

...and

"9. To provide the Vietnamese Army additional M-113 armored personnel carriers (withdrawing the M-114s there), additional river boats, and approximately $5-10 million of other additional material."

(Source, the Pentagon Papers)

64.233.167.104/search?...&gl=us

Hey...finally, an issue on which McNamara and I find ourselves in complete agreement (OK, a Permissive Action Link for Nuclear Weapons seems like a Good Idea too)

I understand Abrams wasn't too exited about it either...wonder if he just read Mac's memo and knew a "good idea" when he saw one? Wink

#8: Re: Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:58 am
    ----
Roy, you are most welcome and every time I see an M114, I think of you, that's why a specifically took these pictures.

Jeff Stringer, I'll get back this week and get pictures of that little dozer. Did you want pictures of the "Rome Plow" as well that's here?

#9: Re: Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:02 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Did you want pictures of the "Rome Plow" as well that's here?

Jeff, if he doesn't, I sure do. Didn't know they had one.

'Preciate it, Bud...

D.

#10: Re: Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy... Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:56 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Roy, you are most welcome and every time I see an M114, I think of you, that's why a specifically took these pictures.

Jeff Stringer, I'll get back this week and get pictures of that little dozer. Did you want pictures of the "Rome Plow" as well that's here?

ABSOLUTELY!! Thanks so much Jeff!

#11: Re: Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:13 pm
    ----
- HellonwheelsV100
Usually the SN can be found right under the headlight assembly in front of the driver's hatch.

How sure are you of that? Have you verified that the number stamped on the hull matches the number on the ID plate? The reason i ask is that we have found severle lingles with numbers stamped on the hull that may or maynot be actual serial numbers but have not been able to confirm since we cannot get inside the hull to check the ID plate. I would have to look back on some old threads and at some old pivtures to supply details but If you are pretty sure that a stamped number in that location is the serial number I have a couple Lingles I can make trips to to look closely at.

In the past we found numbers stamped on the rear hull near the lifting loops that we thought could be s/n but then one of the ones I found had different numbers on the left and right sides which made us wonder.

#12: Re: Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy... Author: wgtacticalLocation: Carrollton, Georgia PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:32 am
    ----
On the M114s that I have, the SN is stamped on the hull under the I.D. plate.

#13: Re: Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:30 am
    ----
- wgtactical
On the M114s that I have, the SN is stamped on the hull under the I.D. plate.

You mean inside the hull correct?

Have there been any numbers stamped on teh exterior of the hull that correlate with teh serial number? Have you seen numbers stamped on the rear of the hull near the lifting eyes?

#14: Re: Repainted 1st CAV M114 for Roy... Author: wgtacticalLocation: Carrollton, Georgia PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:40 am
    ----
That is correct, inside the hull both on and behind the I.D. plate.

-> AFV News Discussion Board