Firefox 3.0
-> Software

#1: Firefox 3.0 Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:19 am
    ----
As much as I haven't liked previous versions the latest incarnation seems to genuinely have more to offer and might even see Mozilla break the 50% browser useage (eventually).
Particularly with IE 7 being so sluggish.

Worth a try, even if you end up going back to IE (I generally use IE7 and FF2 simultaneously).
Firefox can be set up to look and operate as IE if you feel uncomfortable with the way FF is set up as default.

The browser useage figure in this article is based on browser distribution. Actual website visits place FireFox at 35% currently.

Firefox aims for download record.

Version 3 of the popular Firefox web browser is going on general release on 17 June.

Wide take-up of the new version would further boost the market share of the browser which is currently used by about 15% of net users.

With the release, Firefox developer Mozilla is attempting to set a record for the most downloads over 24 hours.

"It's a global effort to make history," said Paul Kim, head of marketing at Mozilla.

Net gains

So far Mozilla has not said exactly when on 17 June the attempt to break the record will begin.

"There is actually no record for the greatest amount of software downloaded in one day, so for 24 hours from the moment we push the bits live, that's when the countdown starts," he said.

Mr Kim said Mozilla had no specific target for the number of downloads it would like to achieve on the day but racking up five million would be "awesome".

By comparison, Firefox 2.0 registered 1.6 million downloads on the day it was made available on 24 October, 2006. More than 1.3 million people have pledged to download the new version on 17 June.

New features in Version 3 include automatic warnings when users stray onto webpages booby-trapped with malicious code.

Also in Version 3 will be "Smart Location Bar" that lets people return to places they have visited even if they have not bookmarked them or cannot remember the full web address.

Firefox 3 will work with Windows 2000, XP and Vista and some non-Windows operating systems including Linux.

Mozilla is not alone in marking the release of the new software. According to the Mozillaparty website more than 566 celebrations are planned for when the software becomes available.

More HERE

#2: Re: Firefox 3.0 Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:19 am
    ----
As most of you know, I've been a Mozilla fan from way back and I've been using FF 3.0 for a while now. Things I like about FF....

1) Tabbed browsing
2) ADD-ON's out the wazoo
3) Themes
4) Ability to config it to suit your needs.

As far as the add-ons go, there are some that are MUST have IMO for surfing the web, visiting boards or doing web page work.

Add Block- Nice script to disable those annoying adds on sites you visit. This script will disable them at the root. How nice it is to visit all heavy laden add sites without being bothered... Smile

Fast Dial- Open a page with Thumbnails views to your favorite sites. Open them one a time or all at once. Great for those sites you visit on a daily basis.

BBCode- Adds the BBcode function to a right click menu with features such as "Make Selection URL" and "Make Selection URL with Name".

Web Developer- Do you do web page work? This is a great add-on if you do. See CSS, HTML, JavaScript code or view all pics on the open page complete with links. Wink

Those are but of few of the HUGE database of add-ons.

#3: Re: Firefox 3.0 Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:36 am
    ----
I like firefox 3 however it keeps randomly crashing. I will try a reinstall to see if that fixes it but it looks good so far

#4: Re: Firefox 3.0 Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:46 pm
    ----
It has been criticised for some bugs already.
Was hoping this would get me away from IE.
Hope they haven't started releasing stuff too early as well now....

www.computerweekly.com...y-flaw.htm

#5: Re: Firefox 3.0 Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:02 pm
    ----
So far FireFox 3.0 installed for 6 days now and no probs here Smile . Hmmm maybe Murphy has tak'n a vacation to MD's house Mr. Green .

#6: Re: Firefox 3.0 Author: 401RCAF_JelLocation: Hiding in Sherwood Forest PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:24 pm
    ----
You do know that one of these days... That pesky mutt is gonna byte yer asses lol

In the meantime, I'll hold my hands up Too afraid of the unknown to try anything other than IE 7 + updates

I remember fighting tooth 'n' nail, kicking 'n' screaming not move from Win Millenium to XP...
(reason... tail_gunnerII for cfs wouldn't work)

Maybe I should get a test puter for trying these new fangled modern day thingy's??? Razz

#7: Re: Firefox 3.0 Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:41 pm
    ----
I live by Murphy's Law with an addition.........

"If anything can go wrong it will" ................"AND TO ME" lol

so far this month I tried XP SP3 it crashed my system, tried Firefox 3 and it keeps crashing, My JO crashed, and my DVD Burner quit working lol

I think im in need of another upgrade to my system lol

Intel P4 3.2 Prescott CPU
Asus P4P800-E Deluxe mobo
2gig Corsair matched ram DDR400 DualChannel
ATI X850 XT 256meg vid card
7.1 Surround sound Realtek onboard

#8: Re: Firefox 3.0 Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:29 am
    ----
MD, you are going to so love your new Intel dual, or quad.

#9: Re: Firefox 3.0 Author: RCAF_MadDog PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm
    ----
One of these days Shades one of these days lol

#10: Re: Firefox 3.0 Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:41 pm
    ----
So far the rumours have it that FF 3.0 ain't all the good news a lot of people tought it to be .......................... Rolling Eyes

btw, MD just got myself a new system

and no FF 3.0 on it Laughing

#11: Re: Firefox 3.0 Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:56 pm
    ----
LOL...well, I've been using FF3 since beta 1 and really like it. Of course, it's so close to FF2 at the end user level, that it wasn't much of a stretch for me. I use it on both XP and Linux with no issues other than the occasional crash which is once or twice a month depending on how much 'stuff' I'm trying to on the web as well as the computer. IE by comparison would do the occasional lock up forcing a hard reboot, so I would rather restart the browser than the machine. Combine that with all the features and add-ons available for FF and it's a "no brainer" for me... Wink

-> Software