No Gas!
-> Officer's Club

#1: No Gas! Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:50 pm
    ----
I can't wait to see what the oil barrens think of these cars Mr. Green !

www.flixxy.com/zero-po...mobile.htm

and this one..

www.flixxy.com/water-p...mobile.htm

and I want one!!

#2: Re: No Gas! Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:45 am
    ----
Mankind is a very smart animal when put to the test. God put everything we need to get by right here on Earth. Amazing!

#3: Re: No Gas! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:21 pm
    ----
- Shadow_Homfixr
I can't wait to see what the oil barrens think of these cars Mr. Green !

www.flixxy.com/zero-po...mobile.htm

Oil barons will note the same thing I will...that it takes energy to compress air, and that there is no "perpetual motion" machine, an on-board compresson cannot be driven by the motion of the machine, it takes excess energy to propel the vehicle so there will be a deficit no matter what kind of sophistry one tries to apply. That energy has to come from somewhere...no free rides. Exhanging one form of energy for another always leaves that vexing question, "From where will do you derive the energy that drives the alternative motive device?"

Can you imagine, say, 200 million motor vehicles making demands on compressed air sources driven by electric motors (the way it's usually done, though you're welcome to use petrol-driven compressors and that won't really solve your problem) and what kind of demand that would make on the grid? Think you've seen brown and blackouts so far? Where will that kind of electricity come from?

What is the weight and carrying capacity of a vehicle that size carrying, how many compressed air bottles of what weight? Notice it didn't go into those details. Compressed air takes volume and a heck of a containment system. A steel or aluminum tank for one hour SCUBA under water is not a small or light item. What will be required for 200 miles carrying three people plus the vehicle itself?

#4: Re: No Gas! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:41 pm
    ----
There is also the problem of having High Pressure vessels and hoses in an environment that is not known for the best maintenance standards (What is the life of a high pressure air cylinder. I know propane tanks have to be pressure tested after 6 years and can only be recertified a few times (maybe once in some uses) When you can't get joe public to change oil on a regular basis how are you going to get him to check the pressure intgrity of a 600 (or more) PSI air system on a regular basis

"yea it's whistling a little bit just put some duct tape and an old piece of garden hose on it" Twisted Evil

#5: Re: No Gas! Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:52 pm
    ----
surely with all the planned new nuclear reactors globaly, this could work? i'm doubting the designers were looking at oil fossil fuels to reload these vehicles, only problem i see is nuclear waste, but then again as time goes on i'm sure this will be dumped in deep space or even the moon.

little snippet i found

Barring any last-minute design changes on the way to production, the Air Car should be surprisingly practical. The $12,700 CityCAT, one of a handful of planned Air Car models, can hit 68 mph and has a range of 125 miles. It will take only a few minutes for the CityCAT to refuel at gas stations equipped with custom air compressor units; MDI says it should cost around $2 to fill the car’s carbon-fiber tanks with 340 liters of air at 4350 psi. Drivers also will be able to plug into the electrical grid and use the car’s built-in compressor to refill the tanks in about 4 hours.
Of course, the Air Car will likely never hit American shores, especially considering its all-glue construction. But that doesn’t mean the major automakers can write it off as a bizarre Indian experiment — MDI has signed deals to bring its design to 12 more countries, including Germany, Israel and South Africa

www.popularmechanics.c...17016.html

#6: Re: No Gas! Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:15 pm
    ----
Fire Congress.....Move all the D.A. tree huggers to Mars
Build more refineries.
Then Drill like heck!!!

#7: Re: No Gas! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:39 am
    ----
- Shadow_Banshee
surely with all the planned new nuclear reactors globaly, this could work? i'm doubting the designers were looking at oil fossil fuels to reload these vehicles, only problem i see is nuclear waste, but then again as time goes on i'm sure this will be dumped in deep space or even the moon.

Say what, now? Laughing

#8: Re: No Gas! Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:24 pm
    ----
Hi all,

4350 PSI?? Holy crap, does anyone else realize how high a pressure that is? Having worked with compressors and compressed air, that's a lot of pressure. 5000 PSI air is dangerous, and contains an enormous amount of energy.

Any service station that chooses to supply that air will require specialized high-strength, high-capacity air tanks, very high-end compressors to supply anything like the volumes they envision, and dispensing gear that allows safe handling of dangerous air pressures by ingenious idiots. Oh, and insurance to cover any (inevitable) high-energy mishaps that occur.

Compressed air is hardly a panacea. This is another great idea that is only great while ignoring practicality and costs. Like so many other 'green' ideas, it assumes that others will bear the costs and challenges of the enlightened few using them.

TANSTAFL!!

#9: Re: No Gas! Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:50 pm
    ----
??
the tanks would be made of carbon fibre "see vid" and that splits if damaged it wont explode, i cant see companies shelling out so much on just ideas, and i'm sure they have looked into safety issues lol.
Time will tell if this is the way foward personally i'm not big into cars, as long as mine gets me to work to earn i dont really care what would be powering it, as long as its cheap and reliable its of no matter.

zeropollutionmotors.us/?page_id=46

#10: Re: No Gas! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:05 am
    ----
- C_Sherman
Hi all,

4350 PSI?? Holy crap, does anyone else realize how high a pressure that is? Having worked with compressors and compressed air, that's a lot of pressure. 5000 PSI air is dangerous, and contains an enormous amount of energy.

TANSTAFL!!

I do, and recall that 3,000 psi tanks were steel and spun aluminum tanks were somewhat less for SCUBA not-so-many years ago. One hour tanks at that. Just to breath, one person at one-two atmospheres recreational diving. Thus my comments earlier about containment. Someone here is being totally unrealistic about the forces and mass involved to contain that kind of mechanical energy safely. Lots of weight...and risk. And lets talk about collision consequences, shall we? Better yet, let's not even think about it.

Some people need to think the matter through here.

-> Officer's Club