LOOOOOONG Time!
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#1: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: tomclayton PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:09 am
    ----
In fact, I saw the "new posts" icon on some threads where the last post was last year! I didn't drop off the face of the planet, I just got busier at Transload.

I also have a new job slinging bags and pushing planes for Pinnacle Airlines (Northwest Airlink) at KGSO. When I started, gas was still under $3.50 and it was still killing us. We crunched the #'s three times, and it always came up the same - buy a motorcycle! Now my Yamaha V-Star 650 is actually paying for itself! It's the ultimate "win-win" - I get a new toy, and I save money!!!

It's 2AM, so I'm going to hit the sack. I'll try to stop by more than once a year! Mr. Green

Here's the bike:

#2: Re: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:48 pm
    ----
WHOA! Nice ride!! I love the way you 'convinced' the wife it was all for saving the family money....lol

#3: Re: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:05 pm
    ----
Good to see ya Tom Cool

#4: Re: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: tomclayton PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:49 am
    ----
Bushy - I didn't have to try very hard! we were spending nearly $300/month in gas, and she was having to catch a ride back and forth to her work since we only had the one vehicle. The loan, insurance, and gas for the bike all add up to about $225/month, so it was a no-brainer that we had the ultimate "win-win" - we save money, and I get a new toy!

And of course, Trena got the bug too, and now she has her "M" endorsement. So now on my days off, I sit at home while she rides my bike!!! Confused

#5: Re: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:47 am
    ----
- tomclayton

And of course, Trena got the bug too, and now she has her "M" endorsement. So now on my days off, I sit at home while she rides my bike!!! Confused

ROFL Tom.. Looks like it might be time for second (scooter) for the wife... Wink

#6: Re: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: tomclayton PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:51 pm
    ----
Riiiiight! She actually had her eye on a used Suzuki Boulevard 800 at the same dealership where I bought mine, but while we couldn't afford not to buy mine, the budget won't allow for a second one until our Jeep is paid off. We'll get her one next year, and then we'll be able to take rides to the beach or mountains. One place we want to go is called Deal's Gap. There's a road there call The Tail of the Dragon which has 318 curve over just eleven miles!

#7: Re: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:14 pm
    ----
- tomclayton
Riiiiight! She actually had her eye on a used Suzuki Boulevard 800 at the same dealership where I bought mine, but while we couldn't afford not to buy mine, the budget won't allow for a second one until our Jeep is paid off. We'll get her one next year, and then we'll be able to take rides to the beach or mountains. One place we want to go is called Deal's Gap. There's a road there call The Tail of the Dragon which has 318 curve over just eleven miles!

Know it well, from when I lived in Maryville. You will love it. Go in early AM if possible, beware of sportbikers (wave them through on your left and watch your mirrors), and be advised that the cops are not unaware of this road either. Lane dicipline is not the forte of the cagers in the region, so leave a buffer.

#8: Re: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:59 am
    ----
Twisty's!!!!

*dribbles*

#9: Re: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: 401RCAF_JelLocation: Hiding in Sherwood Forest PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:31 pm
    ----
Sounds like major knee down territory to me, chance to get the sparkies going

#10: Re: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:54 pm
    ----
Just u n me Jelly.
Tom'll ground his pipes before getting his knee down on a Harley.

Wink

#11: Re: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: 401RCAF_JelLocation: Hiding in Sherwood Forest PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:02 pm
    ----
Cool Dunno though, be fun trying eh

#12: Re: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:58 pm
    ----
- Shades
Just u n me Jelly.
Tom'll ground his pipes before getting his knee down on a Harley.

Wink

Tom's rida ain't a Harley, but you'd be surprized what some baggers, including Honda Gold Wings can do on Deal's Gap. Wink

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

#13: Re: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:48 pm
    ----
THAT's impressive.
Never even thought I'd see the day when anyone was hanging off the saddle of a Wing.
Wonder if the scraping noise was his pipes, pegs, or panniers.

#14: Re: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:11 pm
    ----
- Shades
THAT's impressive.
Never even thought I'd see the day when anyone was hanging off the saddle of a Wing.
Wonder if the scraping noise was his pipes, pegs, or panniers.

Don't know what the camera bike was, I used to routinely scrape the footboards of my stripped '79 FLH on the Dragon, though.

More fun was South Grade Road (aka the "tight side" vs. East Grade Rd. the "fast side") of Palomar Mountain Rd. on my Hot Rod Sporty (with Swiss sprocket and belt, Wiseco piston kit, Andrews cams, Storz and Performance Works suspension). Most sport bikes would keep up, but not pass, not for lack of room, but because I wouldn't have to shift between the curves while they would have to drop as much as two gears to find powerband (I could hear them fishing for powerband behind me). I'd just twist throttle and go and be at next curve.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7YY2e9QivE

And my favorite of the "Ride Behind Videos", Palomar "FAST SIDE", done this one too, from the Lake Henshaw side.

Great for the music...

www.ridebehindvideos.c...ode_10.zip

see more here...including Deal's Gap, Fast Side, others. Professionally done.

www.ridebehindvideos.c....html#ep10

#15: Re: LOOOOOONG Time! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:24 am
    ----
See, the trouble there is those rides start me salivating, but I know I'd probably kill meself if I ever got near one.
age + desire - skill = roadkill
*sigh*

-> Officer's Club