Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:24 pm
    ----

#2: Re: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:54 pm
    ----
How is Tooele pronounced?

Is it 2-el? 2-ellie? tool? toolie? toll?

#3: Re: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:19 am
    ----
Got it Mark. Thank you!

#4: Re: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:20 am
    ----
For more specifics, this one is an M4A1 versus the other one being an M4.

This old lady is in nice shape! Good to see some of these being restored/renewed. Now I 1) need to win the lottery and 2)need to talk the wife into having a little lawn ornament like this. The first is far more likely.

Gary

#5: Re: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:03 am
    ----
Mark, what was going there anyway? show and tell and a tactical demo, etc.?
Were you able to meet/greet and chat it up with owners/mechanics, etc.?
I wish I could hear them.
It is rumored that a medium armor will make its appearance (again) at the Willow Run air show up in my neck of the woods, but that has yet to happen. If you are listening Chris, can that be confirmed? I understand an EZ8 lives in the Armada area, but I have yet to meet it. I would love to though.

You and most of us out here Gary! Gary, dont you live in MI, used to own a Weasel? Or am I thinking of a different Gary?

Anyway, I would own a Sherman but dont think I would want the expenses that come along with it. Plus, anyone out there who does living history knows how difficult it can be to keep together a commited crew. Unfortunately, you can always do this stuff by yourself...

sr

#6: Re: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:45 am
    ----
- Maple_Leaf_Eh
How is Tooele pronounced?

Is it 2-el? 2-ellie? tool? toolie? toll?

I pronounce it too-'ela with the accent on the 'L'. Some of the locals say, too-'wil-la.

#7: Re: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:46 am
    ----
- binder001
For more specifics, this one is an M4A1 versus the other one being an M4.

This old lady is in nice shape! Good to see some of these being restored/renewed. Now I 1) need to win the lottery and 2)need to talk the wife into having a little lawn ornament like this. The first is far more likely.

Gary

Thanks for the info Gary. All of the Shermans look alike to me!

It was only a 'lawn ornament' for the day. (4th of July) Then back inside!

Last edited by MarkHolloway on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

#8: Re: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:47 am
    ----
- SHAWN
Gary, dont you live in MI, used to own a Weasel? Or am I thinking of a different Gary?sr

Sorry, no Michigan, no Weasel (I have been called a weasel though). I did a little battle reenacting back in the late 70's and that is about it. Couldn't afford anything bigger than an M1.

Gary

#9: Re: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:52 am
    ----
Shawn,

Apparently this guy has a 4th of July bar-b-que every year and brings out his toys. When I took the Sherman pictures nobody was there. Wish I had gone back later. They even have their own fireworks. I am honest but there was something tempting inside the M24. An M3A1 'Grease Gun'. Just laying there with nobody around. But I'm too honest!

#10: Re: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:02 pm
    ----
I guess so Mark, that would look good racked in your car. I would assume it is a non-gun, but even at that the models they have/had for the grease gun arent cheap.

Are you going to try to contact this guy?

You know Mark, you still have your Cold War Vet for your license plate? Have to tried to make/sell any of them?

#11: Re: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:53 pm
    ----
No, I don't have my 'cold war vet' plate anymore. Turned it in to DMV somehere along the way to get new ones. Here's what I have now:

#12: Re: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:34 pm
    ----
- SHAWN
I guess so Mark, that would look good racked in your car. I would assume it is a non-gun, but even at that the models they have/had for the grease gun arent cheap.

Are you going to try to contact this guy?

You know Mark, you still have your Cold War Vet for your license plate? Have to tried to make/sell any of them?

I dunno', even the real item is a pretty cheap piece o' wartime manufacturing technology. Were part of my active duty experience and found them perfectly appalling.

As for the license plate, I'm conflicted between the "Honors Veterans" and "Greatest Snow on Earth", but then I'm a 26 year veteran of Alta. Mr. Green

#13: Re: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:05 am
    ----
The new plate is "Life Elevated".

#14: Re: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:07 pm
    ----
how have you been doug? it has been about 4 years or so, i am going to take the "old vet" on another vacation.

i know that the real item was pretty inexpensive to manufacture. they were cheap to make back then but most individuals cant afford to buy one now. you wont find one in semi-auto (unless it is one of the pos valkyrie arms from years back, didnt work than it wont now). the most recent sale i have seen is/was an ithaca M3A1 for 9 grand. i aint paying 9 grand for a C&R.
the market seems to be getting more of the "airsoft" models, and they go for too much...
(you live in Cali, can an individual even own an M3A1 in that state?)

anyway, mark, if you get back to see the shermans or any other vehicles in this collection, please share it with the DG!

#15: Re: Other M4 in Tooele, Utah (SHAWN) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:33 pm
    ----
- SHAWN
how have you been doug? it has been about 4 years or so, i am going to take the "old vet" on another vacation.

i know that the real item was pretty inexpensive to manufacture. they were cheap to make back then but most individuals cant afford to buy one now. you wont find one in semi-auto (unless it is one of the pos valkyrie arms from years back, didnt work than it wont now). the most recent sale i have seen is/was an ithaca M3A1 for 9 grand. i aint paying 9 grand for a C&R.
the market seems to be getting more of the "airsoft" models, and they go for too much...
(you live in Cali, can an individual even own an M3A1 in that state?)

anyway, mark, if you get back to see the shermans or any other vehicles in this collection, please share it with the DG!

Doin' OK..thanks fer askin'. Could use a vacation. Regards to your Dad.

I don't quite know where I got the figure, but I seem to recall the cost of manufacture of an M3 being around $43 per. It's basically two pieces of stamped metal welded together, then screw in the barrel assembly. The early version had a cocking lever, and the later simplified version you just cocked by putting your finger in the bolt and pulling back. The ejection "door" was the "safety" (so to speak, it just blocked the bolt from moving forward, as it fired from the open bolt). Thick coat hanger wire for a shoulder stock.

-> AFV News Discussion Board