Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Benning
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Benning Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:40 pm
    ----
Saw this advertised in the most recent issue of Armor and Cavalry Journal.

www.armorcavalrymuseum.org/

They are planning for a 110,000 square foot museum (first floor, plus 30,000 square foot second floor for offices) to open in Spring 2010. Estimated cost is $53 million.

Includes a map with the expected museum footprint - it will be across the parade field from the new Infantry museum.

Neil

#2: Re: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Benning Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:11 pm
    ----
Nuts.

#3: Re: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Ben Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:17 pm
    ----
I was hoping they'd just leave armor at Knox where it belongs but I guess the move will really happen. I say it's a bad idea thought out by a bunch of pentagon bean counters that don't have a clue Twisted Evil

#4: Re: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Ben Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:25 pm
    ----
a new permanent home for the lineage, history, and heritage of the U.S Army's Armor and Cavalry Force

Uh-huh. As opposed to the old permanent home.

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Benning Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:27 pm
    ----
Its ironic you would say "Nuts," Garry - since it was an infantryman that is famous for that word!

Neil

#6: Re: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Benning Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:38 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Its ironic you would say "Nuts," Garry - since it was an infantryman that is famous for that word!

Neil

Actually, he branched artillery. Wasn't until later (after Bastogne) that he commanded infantry. Wink

"Following his graduation from West Point, McAuliffe entered the Army Field Artillery School in Camp Zachary, Kentucky....

Although his career path had led him to specialize in artillery operations and staff work, McAuliffe was determined to secure a position commanding combat troops. To this end, he enrolled in the Army Command and General Staff School at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas in 1936, completing the program the following year. He then served as an instructor at the Artillery School at Fort Still, Oklahoma, until 1939."

www.answers.com/topic/...-mcauliffe

#7: Re: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Ben Author: recon4ww2Location: western Ohio PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:51 pm
    ----
All I have to say about this move is that it is
B.S.
Mike Haines

#8: Re: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Benning Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:05 pm
    ----
Thanks for the info Doug!

BTW, McAuliffe was one of the top name contenders for the "Interim Armored Vehicle" - which got called Stryker instead...

Neil

#9: Re: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Benning Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Thanks for the info Doug!

BTW, McAuliffe was one of the top name contenders for the "Interim Armored Vehicle" - which got called Stryker instead...

Neil

No problem...figured the Artillery Forum creator would be interested in a little tidbit like that. Laughing

#10: Re: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Ben Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:44 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

I actually wanted to use several stronger words to describe my feelings on this whole matter, but deferred to a milder, historical epithet instead.

I'm sure the new armor museum will be a wonder to behold and I will probably make a pilgrimage to see it once it is established. But , to me, Ft. Knox will always be the "Home of Cavalry and Armor" and Ft. Benning is merely a pretender.

#11: Re: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Benning Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:51 am
    ----
Understood. It appears emotions are running high all around regarding the museum moves...

Neil

#12: Re: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Ben Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:27 am
    ----
I probably wouldn't have put it as stridently as Garry has, but I can't say I fundamentally disagree with his position, either.

I cannot imagine, however, that I would have the same motivation to ever make the trip again. Mostly same vehicles (eventually) at a place that has no historical relationship to them, nor it to the cavalry and armor crewmen and tradition which it trained for/to, what? Eight decades, more-or-less.

#13: Re: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Ben Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:20 pm
    ----
Garry, When you go to see the new museum please remember that arson is a felony! Wink

#14: Re: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Ben Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:34 pm
    ----

#15: Re: Website for the New Armor and Cavalry Museum at Fort Ben Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:12 pm
    ----
- Garry_Redmon
- Neil_Baumgardner

Neil

I actually wanted to use several stronger words to describe my feelings on this whole matter, but deferred to a milder, historical epithet instead.

I'm sure the new armor museum will be a wonder to behold and I will probably make a pilgrimage to see it once it is established. But , to me, Ft. Knox will always be the "Home of Cavalry and Armor" and Ft. Benning is merely a pretender.

Now we're more-or-less on the same page, Garry. Wink

-> AFV News Discussion Board