T249 Vigilante
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: T249 Vigilante Author: RayV PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:25 pm
    ----
I came across a photo of the T249 Vigilante. A prototype Gatling gun, mounted on an M113 chasis. From it's display sign, and the surrounding terrain (especially the red checkered water tower), it looks to be a former Aberdeen display vehicle. Does anyone know more about this prototype, and what's become of it?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Vigilante

Thanks,

-Ray

#2: Re: T249 Vigilante Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:31 pm
    ----
Yes, it survives - and was recently repainted. It's one of my favorites...

Here are some pictures I took a a few years ago. The Vigilante has since been moved, and may have its tracks back now (I cant remember) - I should probably take some more pictures.

Neil

#3: Re: T249 Vigilante Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:02 pm
    ----
Thanks for posting this and the pics, RayV and Neil. When Neil, Bob and I were all up there together, I took a couple myself out of curiosity and had no idea what I was looking at. More embarrasingly, it completely escaped my attention that this was based on an M113 chassis. This thread has been a real eye-opener for me. That's what I love about this forum.

(Yes, Neil, please do take some more pictures and post them! )

#4: Re: T249 Vigilante Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:59 am
    ----
Looks like it's a 'low-rider' M113. Wonder how the power train is squeezed in? Take off the turret and you'd have a nice, low, recon vehicle.

#5: Re: T249 Vigilante Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:09 am
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Looks like it's a 'low-rider' M113. Wonder how the power train is squeezed in? Take off the turret and you'd have a nice, low, recon vehicle.

Mark,
Engine, trans and final drives on an unblown M113 are pretty low to begin with. It's just the radiator, cooling fan and air cleaner that they'd have had to re-plumb.

#6: Re: T249 Vigilante Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:16 am
    ----
Makes sense to me, Doug. They had a chassis like that available but opted for the M114. WTF!? Evil or Very Mad Found an Internet article about this. Made with help from 'our own' Neil Baumgardner.

www.quarry.nildram.co....0QUEEN.htm

#7: Re: T249 Vigilante Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:12 pm
    ----
Further info on the T249 from the Ordnance Museum guide CD:

"The self-propelled T249's six-barreled, Gatling-type Vulcan gun could be directed either by on-board radar or visual sighting. A towed version of the system, the T248, was also designed. Employment of either system, firing thousand rounds per minute, would have required an unlimited ammunition supply. As a result, the army terminated the Vulcan system in favor of missiles. The museum specimin was the original test model and was called "sweetie pie" by the test crews. Nothing is known of the disposition of the T248."

Neil

#8: Re: T249 Vigilante Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:32 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Further info on the T249 from the Ordnance Museum guide CD:

". . . A towed version of the system, the T248, was also designed. Employment of either system, firing thousand rounds per minute, would have required an unlimited ammunition supply. As a result, the army terminated the Vulcan system in favor of missiles. . ."

They must've solved the "infinite ammo" problem because they fieled both a SP (M163) and towed (M167) Vulcan system, albeit in 20mm.

KL

-> AFV News Discussion Board