T-55 in baltimore
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: T-55 in baltimore Author: vmmv1Location: virginia PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:22 pm
    ----
picture of loaded t-55 at the shipping terminal in baltimore

#2: Re: T-55 in baltimore Author: palic PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:57 am
    ----
Gun barrel seems to be short strangely...

#3: Re: T-55 in baltimore Author: vmmv1Location: virginia PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:13 am
    ----
the barrel is pushed back into the turret to save on shipping since you pay for cubic feet on roro ships

#4: Re: T-55 in baltimore Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:17 am
    ----
I was under the impression that it was enormously difficult to import armored vehicles with the new Customs regulations. What's the story behind this? Who does it belong to?

#5: Re: T-55 in baltimore Author: palic PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:03 pm
    ----
- vmmv1
the barrel is pushed back into the turret to save on shipping since you pay for cubic feet on roro ships

Yup, that makes sense but the work required to do such thing is not easy. The difference in price must be important...

#6: Re: T-55 in baltimore Author: vmmv1Location: virginia PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:12 pm
    ----
It is expensive to do the work but since the breech had to be cut to US standards, it had to be removed from the tank anyway. It is not difficult importing non-US armored vehicles if you have an import license.

#7: Re: T-55 in baltimore Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:35 pm
    ----
So will the new acquisition be on display at the open house - in october? Got a date for it yet by chance? Wink

Neil

#8: Re: T-55 in baltimore Author: vmmv1Location: virginia PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:38 pm
    ----
Neil, open house should be Oct. 25th. Hope to see you there. This vehicle is not mine, it is a friends that i helped load ,transport and unload.

#9: Re: T-55 in baltimore Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:13 pm
    ----
Looking forward to it then!

How's the M1917 coming BTW?

Hmm... Now you have me curious as to who the T-55 owner is...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board