The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:14 pm
    ----
The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan

#2: Re: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:27 pm
    ----
Would still like to know if anything has happened with the Disston tank there...

Neil

#3: Re: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:38 pm
    ----
and most probably there were other interesting items to recover...

P-O

#4: Re: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:08 pm
    ----
Lots of junk in these photos..... dukw's, lots of artillery, choppers and planes

and it goes on for miles

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:10 pm
    ----
russian DUKWs? Well this junkyard deserves a complete review of which spare parts could be used to restore other vehicles, because there are undoubtly valuable spare parts there...

P-O

#6: Re: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:16 pm
    ----
good question, look US to me but the russians made a close copy the ZiL-485

#7: Re: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:17 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

- the_shadock
russian DUKWs?

Yes. The cargo bed in the Russian version goes all the way to the rear of the vehicle with a tail gate. The cargo bed of the US version stop about even with the rear set of tires and there is a rear deck on the same level as the sideboards.

Boy would I love to go exploring in that junk yard!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#8: Re: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:19 pm
    ----
thanks Roy

#9: Re: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:28 pm
    ----
Man... No one took the hook... Only one known survivor in the world... And its in that junkyard...

Neil

#10: Re: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:46 pm
    ----
well I thought the Disston tank was in a kind of museum in Afghanistan?

Wonder what happened to the Disston tank, PT-76 and T-34/85?

P-O

#11: Re: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:52 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

- the_shadock
russian DUKWs?

Yes. The cargo bed in the Russian version goes all the way to the rear of the vehicle with a tail gate. The cargo bed of the US version stop about even with the rear set of tires and there is a rear deck on the same level as the sideboards.

Boy would I love to go exploring in that junk yard!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#12: Re: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:10 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
well I thought the Disston tank was in a kind of museum in Afghanistan?

Wonder what happened to the Disston tank, PT-76 and T-34/85?

P-O

I dont think that museum exists anymore - or has for many years...

Last picture I saw - on the old board unfortunately - it was in that Kabul scrapyard... I'll try to find it again, but wasnt able to last time I looked...

Neil

#13: Re: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:17 pm
    ----
In the photo with the DUKWs there appears to be another FT-18 with its turret. Is this the one on its side that has been turned onto its tracks or another one altogether?

#14: Re: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:17 pm
    ----
Hi Garry! Hi Folks!

- Garry_Redmon
In the photo with the DUKWs there appears to be another FT-18 with its turret. Is this the one on its side that has been turned onto its tracks or another one altogether?

My guess is it's the one that was laying on it's side.

Look very closely at the area just in front of and in back of the FT17. It is setting on the cargo bed of a truck. The cab of the truck is to the right of the FT17. It's hard to see, but that luckly FT17 is on it's way out of that junk yard.

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#15: Re: The Fort Knox Renault's in Afghanistan Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:33 pm
    ----
Good catch, Roy. I believe you're right. I couldn't see the truck for the junk.

-> AFV News Discussion Board