M551 Sheridan night firing
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:04 am
    ----
M551 Sheridan

Patton Museum Collection

#2: Re: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:41 am
    ----
I believe that's a Shillelagh missile launch. There's one with container on ground next to vehicle and flash isn't enough for conventional round. Looks pretty much the same as my M60A2 launch.

I have this pic also, courtesy of Davis Library.

#3: Re: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:54 am
    ----
I copied a lot of photos down there last week, I will be posting some later on, feel free to add anything or correct anything as you all know I'm not real knowledgeable on these.....thanks doug

#4: Re: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 am
    ----
Even though there is additional lighting here, it's still an awesome sight! Still a bad lookin' tank!!

Would really like to see the M60A2 firing as well.

#5: Re: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:57 am
    ----
- JeffStringer
Even though there is additional lighting here, it's still an awesome sight! Still a bad lookin' tank!!

Would really like to see the M60A2 firing as well.

As you wish. The little backsplatters you see hitting around the tank are bits of rocket motor (fuel) being ejected from the rear upon ignition.

There's a pretty good chance that I'm the one taking this shot. This is the M60A2 IPT in '73.

#6: Re: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:44 am
    ----
Oh my. That is way too cool! Thanks Doug, that made my day seeing that! So you served on the M60A2? Probably a little more stable platform to fire that M162 gun, huh? Laughing

Thanks for the great picture!

#7: Re: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:41 pm
    ----
I was on the Initial Production Test project at the Board in '73. Definitely more stable platform under recoil than a Sheridan. After that, I flat run out of good things to say about it.

#8: Re: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:44 pm
    ----
Doug,

Is the picture good enough to show the RN# on the side sponson box?

Joe D

#9: Re: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:54 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Doug,

Is the picture good enough to show the RN# on the side sponson box?

Joe D

Joe,
I get 09A 830 09 (or 69). Does this make sense?

I have an original 8 x 10 glossy that I'll try to dig up and recan at higher res.

#10: Re: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:32 pm
    ----
Thanks Doug,

One of the M60A1E2 models,

M60A1E1's being made from M60's, E2's from A1 hulls. From what I've figured out so far M60A2's were given the newer 6 character alpha-numeric registration number series. Example, SN 4427/ RN JK0030, JK being M60A2. SN 4426 was the first A2. BTW, the newer M60A1/A3 RN's would start with JJ. I've also dug up a bunch more info that helps clarify some of the total A2 production discrepancies brought up, but nothing solid enough to say 100% factual.

Joe D

#11: Re: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:41 pm
    ----
That's a Shillelagh container but that would be a dummy round next to it. They would hang someone out to dry if they put a real one out in the gravel like that. Thanks for the photo.

#12: Re: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:13 pm
    ----
Looks like the M551 is at Yuma?

#13: Re: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:23 am
    ----
Doug,

Did you manage to confirm/ get a better picture of the RN on yet?

Neither number is coming up in my references, limited they may be.

Joe D

#14: Re: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:42 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Doug,

Did you manage to confirm/ get a better picture of the RN on yet?

Neither number is coming up in my references, limited they may be.

Joe D

Joe,
Not yet, have had limited time to look for original. I have these Armor Board 8 x 10's stored in a couple of places/binders around the house.
Will try to check over holiday weekend. I so hate digging in the big wooden box I keep some stuff in.

#15: Re: M551 Sheridan night firing Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:22 pm
    ----
Hey Doug,

Trying not to be a pest, but any luck on the registration number? I'm working on something and it might answer a few questions.

Thanks,
Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board