"Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:21 pm
    ----
Took these today,....

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Two 'new' & one old

Don

#2: Re: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:46 pm
    ----
I believe the M114 and the Duster both did belong to Mr Ropkey. Anyone have any good ideas on what happened there? Why would the Army take those back from Fred and not anyone else?

#3: Re: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:45 pm
    ----
Oh, here is a temporary visitor,....

[img][/img]

Regards
Don

#4: Re: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:04 am
    ----
Nice Chieftain. Interesting pics, Dontos, thanks.

#5: Re: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:49 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
Nice Chieftain. Interesting pics, Dontos, thanks.

Here are a couple more.

Didn't have too much time, so had to rush. I can get more if interested. Due to the 'parking' arrangement in that area, getting some detailed photos are near impossible. But others are obtainable given the time to 'low crawl' into gaps between vehicles.

(Sure could use that 'DANARI POLE THINGIE'!! Oh well I'll try my best for additional photos.)

Regards
Don

#6: Re: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:02 am
    ----
Don't forget a standard tripod (legs extended but held together) makes an excellent 'Danari pole' too.

#7: Re: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:40 pm
    ----
Don, how do you read that number on the Chieftain? 05MS93?

Neil

#8: Re: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:18 pm
    ----
At least it wasn't raining like it did when I went through.

Otherwise I would've removed a tarp from one particular tank to get a better picture. Shame they're parked like that instead of on the concrete in the Motor Pool. If they were you could actually get decent photo.

Joe D

BTW, I didn't use my camera pole that day either, it was buried in the bottom of my car trunk. I am making a new, improved model and plan to unveil it soon. Might try it out on our local tank here when it's done.

#9: Re: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:11 pm
    ----
Trevor, any comments/thoughts on the VRN? Looks like a different one from what you reported before...

Neil

#10: Re: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: chieftain900Location: The town time forgot PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:20 am
    ----
VRN should be 05 MS 93 that shows up on a mint shot now waiting for UK MoD to give me the translation or george Lemmons to complete his mission inside and hopefully find the orginal census plate. with the correct VRN which is going to be either 02 EB 15 or 16

#11: Re: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:16 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Trevor, any comments/thoughts on the VRN? Looks like a different one from what you reported before...

Neil

My Patton Museum notes have 65MS99:

www.preservedtanks.com...p;Select=1

I guess either they are lax with their VRNs (i.e. just make them up when they need them) or we're looking at different Chieftains. Then again the numbers are maybe close enough that there is a transliteration, with someone - perhaps me - making a mistake in recording the number.

- Joe_D
I am making a new, improved model and plan to unveil it soon. Might try it out on our local tank here when it's done.

I look forward to learning more!

#12: Re: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:01 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum

My Patton Museum notes have 65MS99:

www.preservedtanks.com...p;Select=1

I guess either they are lax with their VRNs (i.e. just make them up when they need them) or we're looking at different Chieftains. Then again the numbers are maybe close enough that there is a transliteration, with someone - perhaps me - making a mistake in recording the number.

Trevor

I'll see about getting better photos and confirm that VRN. I hope to drop by there before the weekend. This time with more time & some 'crawling / climbing clothes'.

More to follow
Don

#13: Re: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:16 pm
    ----
Thanks Don!
As Bob G said, a VRN off a dataplate inside would be welcome as well!

FYI, VRNs are usually in the following format so you know what you're looking for (N for number, L for letter): NNLLNN.

We expect the VRN is 05MS93, 65MS99, or possibly a dual VRN with one of the former outside and 02EB15 or 02EB16 inside...

This could also help identify the Aberdeen Chieftain, as it appears both museums got them (and Leopard 1 prototypes) from the German MoD at the same time...

Thanks,

Neil

#14: Re: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:02 am
    ----
Look forward to learning more. I've visited a few other Chieftains recently, I'll have to upload the info as soon as I can.

#15: Re: "Lingles, 'Chief's, & 'Dusters'...(oh my?) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:06 pm
    ----
Where is the interior data plate?

I should have the chance to pop by there Monday or Tuesday.

If I get the chance, I will see about getting the info off of it, and some interior shots while I'm there.

Friday I was at the Museum, for an event. 'New' photos, and even video of the WWII gallery. Working on editing now, for posting on 'Armor Ghosts' website. Stay tuned.

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board